Join us for a Pre-K Parent Academy
In partnership with The Delaware Readiness Teams and the State of Delaware Department of Education's Office of Early Learning, Cape Henlopen School District is pleased to provide a Parent Academy. The Parent Academy is designed for use with four-year-olds who will be entering kindergarten the following school year. It is designed using goals and objectives measured on the Early Learner Survey which is used to access all kindergarten students in Delaware within the first 30 days of kindergarten. The Parent Academy features a collection of objective-based lessons reflecting best practices used in early childhood education.
Children must be five years old on or before August 31, 2020.
Dinner, door prizes and take-home activities are included. Childcare will be available for children ages 2 and up. Each time you attend a session, your name will be entered into a raffle. The more sessions you attend the better your chances are of winning a backpack full of school supplies needed for kindergarten. The winner will be announced on April 8, 2020!
Schedule of Events for the Evenings:
The event is from 5:30PM - 7:30PM
Presenters, teachers and helpers should be present from 5:00PM - 7:45PM
5:30PM - 6:30PM - Dinner provided
6:00PM - 6:15PM - Registration, exploration center, division of student groups
6:15PM - 7:15PM - Parent presentation/guided student lessons and activities
7:15PM - 7:30PM - Parent/child activity, evaluations, distribution of take-home bags.
Please Click Here to RSVP or Call (302) 645-6686!
Schedule of Topics
|December 3, 2019||5:30PM - 7:30PM||Milton Elementary||Social Studies: My World and Community|
|January 15, 2020||5:30PM - 7:30PM||Rehoboth Elementary||Reading and Literacy: Reach Out and Read|
|February 5, 2020||5:30PM - 7:30PM||Love Creek Elementary||Science: From Play to Inquiry|
|March 3, 2020||5:30PM - 7:30PM||H.O. Brittingham Elementary||Health, Wellness and Social Skills: Be Fit - Stay Fit|
|April 7, 2020||5:30PM - 7:30PM||Shields Elementary||Math and Movement: Fun with Numbers|
Purpose of the Parent Academy:
- To provide children with an introduction, practice, or reinforcement of skills that are developmentally appropriate and used as a measure of success in kindergarten.
- To provide family members with an awareness of developmentally appropriate activities, kindergarten expectations, and suggestions for reinforcing those skills and expectations at home.
- to provide families with materials that support child development and educational interaction at home.
Parent Academy Materials:
- Scripted lessons, activities, and links to free or inexpensive downloads to be used for small group instruction of children attending the event.
- Outlined presentations for parents attending the event.
- Suggested materials list for take-home materials that nurture and reinforce skill development. Information for parent sessions and lesson goals were taken directly from Gold Objectives for Development and Learning, Birth through Third Grade.
- The incentive for families attending all five events will be a bag with school supplies and children's books.