Fundamentals of Culinary 1
The Fundamentals of Culinary and Hospitality Management pathway provides an opportunity to begin to understand the hospitality and foodservice industry. From learning the fundamentals to creating dishes of their own, students will learn a variety of essential cooking, baking skills and techniques through academic learning as well as hands-on instruction. Introduction to new ingredients and dishes are expected. Nutritional, health and safety equirements in food handling are heavily emphasized.
Resources and Materials:
Textbook: Foundations of Restaurant Management & Culinary Arts (Level 1)
- Selected Websites
- Materials: Students will need to provide a 3 ring binder with 5 dividers, notebook paper and writing utensils.
- iPad will need to be brought to class daily and charged.
On lab days students will need to wear long pants and closed-toed shoes to participate. All students must purchase a chef hat to wear during cooking labs. Hats can be purchased through the school for $5.00, or purchased outside of school. All hats will be embroidered at school with the student’s name. If student does not have long pants, closed-toe shoes, and a hat on lab day, he/she will lose 25% of their lab grade.
Grading Policy: Cape Henlopen Grading Scale Applies
- A 93-100
- B 85-92
- C 75-84
- D 70-74
- F 0-69
Exams and Quizzes: 30%- Exams and Quizzes will be given periodically throughout each unit.
Laboratory Work: 30%- Lab work will include writing prep sheets prior to each cooking date, as well as performance in lab. If student misses 2 or more labs, he or she will not receive credit for class.
Classwork: 30%- Class work will consist of a variety of assignments and research-based projects through out the school year. Notebooks will be checked periodically throughout each marking period.
Homework: 10%- Homework will be given when needed.
Rules & Procedures:
All school rules will be strictly enforced. Additionally, the following procedures will be in place:
- Arrive on time and prepared for class.
- Respect yourself, your classmates, and the classroom materials at all times.
- Only enter the kitchen areas with permission from the teacher.
- Stay on task and complete all assignments on time.
- Be responsible while in the kitchens at all times.
- If school or classroom rules are broken, the following actions will occur:
- 1st Offense: Verbal Warning
- 2nd Offense: Discipline referral and a parent/guardian will be notified
- 3rd Offense: Discipline referral, a parent/guardian will be notified, and loss of kitchen privileges.
*** Showing up tardy to class 3 times will result in a discipline referral. ***