Introduction to Art
This course is an introduction and a foundation for art as a career pathway and a pre requisite for all art courses. Students will explore various media, while focusing on the Principles and Elements of Art.
Upon completion of this course the student will know and understand:
- Elements of art
- Principles of art
- Composition studies
- Proper use of media
- Still life
- Color theory
- Drawing and painting techniques
- Students must purchase a sketchbook, at least 8x10 inches, preferably spiral bound.
- Drawing Pencils
- Binder ( or any folder to keep loose hand outs)
- Black, fine point sharpie (multiple)
- Pencil sharpener
- Block or kneaded eraser (not pink)
*All supplies should be brought to class by the beginning of the second week. If you cannot purchase these items due to financial difficulties please see me individually.
- Grades will be based on student performance on projects, completion of daily duties, classwork, notebook checks, warm up, tests, quizzes, homework, sketchbook, etc.
- Most projects will be graded out of 100 points. In order to make grading less subjective, all major projects are graded using a rubric. The rubric will be given to you before and during the lesson so that you know exactly what to expect.
- In addition to a point based rubric, every student will be completing a self and a peer reflection/critique after each project.
- 40% Process (classwork, participation, daily duties, tests, quizzes, homework, warm ups)
- 60% Product (projects)
Rules & Procedures:
- Abide by the Cape Henlopen school district code of conduct at all times
- Respect yourself, your classmates, your property, the school property, and your teacher
- Give full attention when teacher is speaking
- Be responsible-attend every class, arrive on time (in your seat when the bell rings)
- Complete projects by due dates
- Keep phones turned off and away
- Water is allowed, but no other drinks or food in class is tolerated
- Do not line up at the door, wait in your seat for the bell to ring
- Do not remove supplies from the classroom without permission
- Your ipad is only to be in use when the teacher requests and allows. Improper use of the ipad will result in disciplinary action. The Ipad is for academic use only. Do not take pictures or recordings of students or staff without their authorization.