8th Grade Social Studies
Students are expected to come to class prepared and ready to work. Student’s grades are a reflection on the following understanding:
- Assessments (tests, quizzes, and essays)
- Classroom Activities (warm-ups, classwork, etc.)
- Homework (agendas will be checked)
- Participation/Schoology discussion boards
- Current events/news articles/journals
- Classroom projects
- Make-up work (missed work will be accepted per school guidelines – Students are required speak to the teacher and request work.)
This class will follow the Cape Henlopen School District Grading Policy.
- A: 93-100
- B: 85-92
- C 75-84
- D: 70-74
- F: below 70
Homework and Projects will be assigned!
Rules & Procedures:
- In order to create a positive learning environment for all students and the teacher, simple respect is necessary. This includes no put downs, negative statements or unacceptable behavior. In other words, treat others the way you wish to be treated.
- Be prepared. Each student is expected to come to class prepared to learn and participate in the day’s planned activities. This includes, but is not limited to, having a pen/pencil, notebook, classwork, agenda, and homework folder.
- Staying on task. Each student during this class is expected to work. All other work for other classes or items not related to this class will be confiscated – and I will tell!
- Phones/Ipods/etc. Students know the rules. I know you have these items with you. Please be smart about this.
- Late work. Work is due on the assigned day. No excuses. If you are absent – you know the rules. Late homework is not accepted. Projects are due on the date assigned. If you are not going to be here, bring it the day before or send it in with a trusted friend.
- Plagiarizing a paper is a very serious offense. So is copying others homework. If you are having trouble with something, see me ASAP. You do not want to have to deal with me if you get caught.
- School Policy: All other school policies are followed in this classroom. You understand the BMS rules – As 8th graders you are leaders in this building.
Attendance is a critical component for success in this class. When a student is absent, he/she is responsible for the completion of any classwork missed. Do not come in and ask, “Did we do anything yesterday, of course we did! It is not the teacher’s responsibility to track you down to give you your assignments. A student has two days to make up the work for each day missed and the teacher will be available for direction and clarification.
A student arriving after I start class is considered tardy. When in doubt get a pass. All bathroom, drinks, and nurse visits will be strictly monitored. If a student is continually late a lunch detention, parent phone calls, or referral to the office will occur.
In this class, students will be using various forms of technology to complete a wide range of assignments. The goal behind the introduction of these tools is to prepare students for high school, college, and the work force. YouTube, music, games, and selfies are things you should not do. (Your Ipad will be used as will Schoology!)
I take pride in this room. I want you as students to feel comfortable and welcomed. I also want to have some fun. A lot of the items in this room I bought and belong to me. With that being said you are welcome to look at, handle, or borrow anything I have. It’s here for your learning pleasure. Please respect both my property as well as Beacon’s. We are very lucky to have...what we have. If you need something - please ask me – chances are I either have extra supplies or know where to get it.