8th Grade US History
WELCOME TO 8TH GRADE US HISTORY! I am looking forward to an awesome year! In class, we will use a thematic approach to cover US history and explore concepts involving early colonization, slavery, American independence from England, westward expansion, the events leading up to the Civil War and post-war Reconstruction Era. We will also be looking at court cases that have helped shape American policy and are relevant to the themes we will cover. We will use a variety of sources in class, including historical documents, textbooks, primary and secondary sources (letters, articles, etc.) maps and visual aids.
- All assignments will be graded based on a points scale. Your grade will be determined by the total number of points earned divided by the total possible points. You will be graded on a variety of assignments to allow for a greater chance for success, including classwork, warm-ups, current events, projects, tests, study guides and frequent binder checks.
- An assignment that is not turned in on time will be assessed a 10% penalty for each day it is late. After 3 days, the work will no longer be accepted and your grade will be a zero. (Day 1- 10% off, Day 2- 20% off, Day- 30% off, Day 4- 0)
- Please see me right away if there are extenuating circumstances that prevent you from meeting your deadlines.
- Students and parents are encouraged to follow their academic progress on our Home Access website. Login information was sent home before school began- contact a building secretary if you cannot log in.
Rules & Procedures:
If you are absent, you will be expected to make up any work that you have missed. See the Makeup Folders on the back wall of the classroom for assignments and notes that you have missed. A record of all class work is kept in my journal. When you are absent, it is your responsibility to collect and complete any missed assignments. You have as many days as you were absent to make up the work. Getting, completing and turning in make-up work is the student’s responsibility!
- Composition Book
- 2 Tabs in your binder
Bring your agenda, composition book, binder and writing materials to class every day.
Bathroom use is not permitted during the first 10 minutes of class. Don’t ask... After that, you must sign out on the clipboard and take a pass to leave the room.
Please respect my classroom by not opening drawers and cabinets, or handling materials unless requested. Anything on my desk is also off limits.
- Come on time and prepared for class with your materials.
- Use your manners and raise your hand to ask a question.
- Work only in the area assigned to you.
- Treat all others with respect. No mean people allowed.
- Stay on task until your job is done. Don’t give up or play around! :)